♫We’re off to see our Twitter and Facebook posts, the wonderful Twitter and Facebook posts from the week.♫ Ruby slippers and basket for Toto ready? Good. Let’s begin our walk toward some Friday Fun.
Article of the Week: Happy National Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month
Search online for “reasons to adopt a shelter dog” and you will get loads of informative results. Chiefly among them being that adopting shelter animals saves lives; it’s been estimated that a combined three million cats and dogs are euthanized yearly, and adoption is the best way to end this plight.
But rather than reiterate all of the usual reasons for adoption, we have five quotes to help convince you.
1. If you both do something weird, it’s no longer odd but cute: “The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” -Samuel Butler
2. Dogs will be there to show you everything’s okay: “There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.” -Ben Williams (We would extend this quote to any dog licking your face.)
3. They are good for an economy with sluggish job growth: “Scratch a dog and you’ll find a permanent job.” -Franklin P. Jones
4. They make sure their owners never feel ignored or neglected: “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.” -Christopher Morley
5. Dogs are great motivation to get off the couch: “A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk.” -O.A. Battista (And it’s National Walk-Your-Dog Week through Sunday!)
Obie Weight-loss Update
Obie lost another pound. From Facebook: “Morning weigh-in and we’re at 66 lbs today!!!” Send him some more cheers and woofs!
Quote of the Week
“Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” -Agnes Sligh Turnbull
Command of the Week
Read: Use this to teach your dog to relax beside you while you read. Feel free to read aloud to your pooch.
Animal Sound of the Week
Photo of the Week
And here’s an article about George and his family.
Friday Fun: Frankenweenie
It’s alive! Have you been wanting to “Frankenweenie-fy” your pooch to celebrate Frankenweenie opening in theaters today? There’s a Facebook app for that. You’ll need to upload a photo of your pet from your desktop or Facebook, or you’ll need to take a photo with your computer camera. Music plays while you “Frankenweenie-fy” your pet, but you can mute it by clicking the speaker in the lower right corner. Click this link and follow the onscreen prompts.
Thanks for joining us on another Weekly Walk. For more posts and tweets from the week, see our Twitter and Facebook profiles. And, as always, share stories with us in the comments below. Woof!